Re: aluminized mylar

From: DonRath@aol.com
Date: Sun Feb 15 2004 - 12:17:00 PST

From: DonRath@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:17:00 EST
Subject: Re: aluminized mylar

Hi Bryan --

Try TAP Plastic for the aluminized mylar. They had it last time I wanted to
get some -- although that was probably 1-2 years ago. There's a TAP store in
Dublin which would be a very convenient stop on your way home from Manteca (let
me know if you want directions). It came in 3 ft wide rolls last time I bought
it. It doesn't have a sticky backing, but for the Cylindrical Mirror snack
with the stovepipe, I think you should be able to get it to stay in place just
by laying it onto the inner surface of the pipe and then taping it in place
around the edges. Thicker mylar will work better than very thin stuff, but I
can't remember if there was an option on thickness the last time I bought it. If
it is too thin to hold the curve, you might try some double-stick scotch tape
on the back in a few places to see if that solves the problem without creating
too much distortion.

Good luck!

Don Rathjen
Exploratorium Teacher Institute