Fun with analogies in the science classroom

From: Michael Geluardi (geluardi@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 14 2004 - 13:29:50 PST

Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 13:29:50 -0800 (PST)
From: Michael Geluardi <geluardi@yahoo.com>
Subject: Fun with analogies in the science classroom

I wrote a test question which, by accident, opened a gold mine for me. The
question was: "Complete the phrase: Atoms are like..." and I used it for
creative response extra credit on a test.

First a few wonderful 9th grade student responses and then some thoughts on
using analogies in the classroom.

"Atoms are like families. Each nucleus is a parent and the valence electrons
are children. When two atoms form a covalent bond, they are getting married
and sharing the children between them. When lots of atoms form covalent bonds
and make molecules, that is polygamy. In multiple covalent bonds, they share
multiple children. An ionic bond is a stay-at-home parent taking care of all
the children. When they form a metalic bond, it is like a divorce and the
electron children get bounced back and forth between the parents. In
radioactive decay, the parents are going through a midlife crisis and changing
their identity (element). Parents (elements) are either metals that aren't
very good at forming strong relationships, nonmetals that want even more kids
and love being parents, and metaloids that are in between. Noble gasses are
childless (since they have full valence shells) and don't like to get mixed up
in the parenting scene. Chemical reactions happen faster in hotter
temperatures because it 'heats things up' and catalysts are matchmakers for the
parents."

"Electrons are kind of like feelings because they can bond with other atom's
electrons, just like feelings can cause people to bond."

"Atoms are like paint. You start off with very few colors, but you can mix
them and add different colors. You can make billions of shades and tones, even
when you only start out with a few."

The power of analogies is fantastic, especially when the students come up with
their own! In fact, it seems that making analogies is exactly what students do,
privately, in their own heads, as they try to make sense of new concepts. I'd
like to unleash it and use it more constructively! A good analogy will serve
students well for a long time. Analogies tie content into their own
experiences and good analogies can provide the intuitive insight that science
comprehension is all about.

As a teacher, I often try to explain the content as correctly as I can in
technical terms which works for certain students but eyes glaze over too. The
technical schmeal is important but I bet the anologies are what ultimately make
it work.

But...students also come up with bad analogies that act as obstacles to
comprehension and learning. I definetely got some problematic responses to
that question about atoms. We all know that hidden misconceptions can be
serious obstacles to good comprehension.

Still, an imperfect but strong analogy may be a pretty good compromise all
things considered if it works for the student and allows them to remember a
concept down the line.

So, how can I get students to use good analogies and how can I debunk bad ones?

Ideas:

* Use analogies as a more fun format for a know, want to know, learned lesson
plan. Brainstorm and share imperfect but fun anologies first. Get the
misonceptions out in the open and let me identify them without correcting or
criticizing. Teach the material refering to good and bad analogies to debunk
misconceptions and reinforce correct ones. Finish by revising and perfecting
old analogies. Good postering, creative expression potential here! Encourage
students to come up with their own creative analogies because, in true
exploratorium fashion, people learn best from their own ideas and experiences.
And I'm amazed at their creativity. Fun analogies can turn dry ideas into
succulent ones, especially for students who aren't so into the technical
approach.

* Use analogies closer to the end of a lesson when at least some students will
have the ideas down well and others will not. Group share and revision of
analogies as a group learning/reinforcing/test prep activity.

* more???

-Mike Geluardi, Piedmont High School