RE: pinhole Genetics Hands on Activities

From: Nathan Castellanos (normal@earthling.net)
Date: Thu Mar 25 2004 - 15:02:27 PST

From: "Nathan Castellanos" <normal@earthling.net>
Subject: RE: pinhole Genetics Hands on Activities
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 15:02:27 -0800

I just did Mendel with my students and I put them into pairs and gave them
each a paper bag with varrious assortments of red and blue paper cards, some
all red, some all blue, and some 50/50. Then the pairs made "offspring" by
each randomly taking out one card. They recorded their data, figgured out
thier genotypes, made punnet's squares and then compared their data to the
punnet's square. They did the same for their classmates data.

It seemed like after the activity, they had a pretty decent handle on
dominant and recessive alleles, and on the punnet's square.