Glass: a liquid? a solid?

From: Craig Childress (craigchildress@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 26 2004 - 20:53:14 PST

From: "Craig Childress" <craigchildress@hotmail.com>
Subject: Glass: a liquid? a solid?
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 20:53:14 -0800

So is glass a liquid or a solid? In high school we were all told that glass
is an "amorphous liquid" of very high viscosity that takes centuries to
flow. Ancient cathedral windows with thicker bottoms than tops were given as
evidence. In recent times, however, I have heard this "myth" disputed with
the idea that ancient glass production was less than perfect and uneven
panes would always be installed with the thickest end down.

Is glass a liquid (of any type/viscosity)?

Does glass "flow"? If so, at what rate?

Are the ancient panes with thicker bottoms evidence of "flow" or building
design?

Is the basic question (liquid/solid) complicated by differences in ancient
and modern glass "recipes"?

Are there any credible resources that would be helpful on this matter?

Craig Childress
Technology/Science Instructor
Hillsdale High School
(650) 378-8170