RE: Speed of sound

From: Anderson, Sherry (andersons@wl.k12.in.us)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 07:12:14 PDT

Subject: RE: Speed of sound
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 09:12:14 -0500
From: "Anderson, Sherry" <andersons@wl.k12.in.us>

My class is studying sound. We understand that sound travels faster in more dense matter. If that is true, why does sound travel faster in warm (25 degrees C) air than cold (0 degrees C) air. As the air warms, it expands and becomes less dense, yet the sources I find report that sound travels faster in the warm air.

Is this a book error, or is it a "little more complicated than that?"

Sherry Anderson