Van de Graaf generator safety

From: Debbie Berlin (debbie_berlin@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 04:21:53 PDT

Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 04:21:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Debbie Berlin <debbie_berlin@yahoo.com>
Subject: Van de Graaf generator safety

I noticed that my Van de Graaf generator, when it
discharges, can turn the TV on and off across the room
and restarts the computer on my desk. What does that
mean it could do to biological systems like the brain
or internal devices like pace makers...does anyone
know?
Thanks,
Debbie

P.S. I'm also thinking that this effect might be what
gives physics teachers their "mad scientist" reputation.