Re: pinhole Is saltwater alkaline?

From: Geoff Ruth (gruth@leadershiphigh.org)
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 19:42:21 PDT

Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:42:21 -0700
From: Geoff Ruth <gruth@leadershiphigh.org>
Subject: Re: pinhole Is saltwater alkaline?

Sheila,

There are a few components of seawater that act basic:

Sulfate accounts for 2.71 g of every kg of seawater. It acts as a
(very) weak base:
SO42- + H+ <=> H2O4- + H2O

Probably more significantly, each kg of sewater contains about 0.14 g
of bicarbonate ion (HCO3-). Bicarbon acts as a base:
HCO3- + H+ => H2O + CO2

Both these anions come from weathered minerals that dissolved into the oceans.
- Geoff