Re: pinhole ? Inspiration Concept Mapping Software?

From: Fred Estes (fred-estes@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Apr 25 2004 - 20:26:54 PDT

From: "Fred Estes" <fred-estes@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: pinhole ? Inspiration Concept Mapping Software?
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 20:26:54 -0700

I've used Inspiration both personally and with students. You may want to
separate the process of learning concept mapping from learning the software.
If your students are familiar with concept mapping, they will pick up
Inspiration fairly quickly.

Inspiration, like any software tool, does takes some time to learn, however,
so don't think of it as a time-saver for a one-time map. Some students get
distracted by all the different types of arrows and icons they can use.
Others become frustrated when they want to do something that either the
software won't do or they haven't figured out how to do it. Personally, I
like to make my own maps by hand and then use Inspiration if I am going to
present the map or would like an electronic file for sharing and revising.
The leverage with Inspiration is in the revision process.

There is a version for younger children, but I've used regular Inspiration
with 2nd graders and the kid version lacks some features.

--Fred Estes