Re: pinhole coriolis effect demo.

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Thu May 06 2004 - 17:11:55 PDT

Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 17:11:55 -0700
From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole coriolis effect demo.

Hi Kevin

You are correct.

Consider a cannon ball fired horizontally to the north from the equator.
The equator is moving 1000 miles per hour to the east. So the canon ball
goes north and east at the same time. So for short distances the observer
sees the ball go straight north because everythin:, ground, air and ball,
moves east at the same rate.

However if it goes far enough north it comes to a place where the surface
of the earth is going east along with the air at a slower rate, at 45
degrees north the surface moves at 700 mph to the east. But the cannon ball
is still going east at 1000 mph so it pulls ahead of the surface and the
air and seems to curve. (Even though viewed from space its moving in a
straight line.)

Paul D