LA/SS Teacher Needed

From: dave barker (dbarker_sfusd@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue May 18 2004 - 13:07:31 PDT

Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 13:07:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: dave barker <dbarker_sfusd@yahoo.com>
Subject: LA/SS Teacher Needed

Hi Everyone,

Yes! I am posting a request to my math and science
peers for an 8th grade Language Arts/Social Studies
teacher to come to Oakland Charter Academy (OCA). OCA
is a public charter school in the Fruitvale district
in Oakland. Our students are committed to academic
achievement and responsibility for their actions.
Parents from the community started this school eleven
years ago as an alternative to the District schools.
We are still a public school but have much more
autonomy, and a long waiting list of students waiting
to get into our school.

As a science teacher, I have my students write
conclusions to their experiments and activities, and
as a math teacher, my students are required, at times,
to express in writing how they solved a problem. It's
always nice to be able to read the writing of 8th
grade students, especially after three years here at
OCA, which is why I'm putting the word out for a
strong Language Arts (English) teacher.

Our current LA/SS teacher got a job overseas. We are
currently looking for a teacher who has a
single-subject credential in at least English or
social studies, and is committed to working on
student's reading comprehension and writing skills. We
have several professional development days where
teachers work together, ask for and provide feedback
to each other, and sometimes question our methods to
ensure we are meeting our goals and serving our
students.

We are now a part of the Yosemite Institute where each
grade level goes away for a week, each year, to study
a different environment. There are many other great
reasons to work at OCA so if anyone knows a LA/SS
teacher that may be interested please have them call
me ASAP. Thanks!

Dave Barker
925-323-7675 (cell)

=====
"Of all the enemies to public liberty, war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded, because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes; and armies, and debts, and taxes are the known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few… No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare."
James Madison, the 4th President of the United States, August of 1793