sweating

From: Geoff Ruth (gruth@leadershiphigh.org)
Date: Wed May 26 2004 - 10:00:41 PDT

Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 10:00:41 -0700
From: Geoff Ruth <gruth@leadershiphigh.org>
Subject: sweating

My chemistry students asked me a question that stumped me.

Why do you sweat salt as well as just water? If the purpose of
sweating is just to cool down your body, then what's the reason that
you lose salt as well? Is it because your body fluids are a mixture
of water & salt, so there's no way that you could excrete just pure
water, since it's already mixed up with salt?

Thanks a lot for your help, as always!

~ Geoff