A big thank you and a big science notification.

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 14:29:56 PDT

Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 14:29:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: A big thank you and a big science notification.

First, Thanks to Eric Mueller (and the Exploratorium)
for coming to the rescue when the second day of my
"Three Day Bay Area Geology Field Trip" lost one of
its presenters and I called Eric for help. In just a
couple hours he made things possible for my class to
get into the museum and experience the Sound Column
too. My students were in awe of the Sound Column and
kept talking about it through the next day's volcano
walk. They thought the Exploratorium's seismograph was
pretty neat too, I never even noticed the darn thing
before, but there it was. They didn't like the geysers
though, I guess I didn't either.

The other thing I want to think Eric and the
Exploratorium for is that three of the 5 major Earth
Science experiences I did with my sixth graders I
learned about at the Teacher Institute. It makes me
very happy that the stuff I've learned there
translates so easily into being taught, and it is
rarer than it should be that workshops can be so
useful!

Second, IISME has sent out this notification of some
stuff happening at Lawrence Livermore. Something about
"big science", which as we all know costs more than
"small science" and you should see the really, really,
big science textbook (4'X 8'?) that explains it. The
IISME note reads:

Science Teachers
Bring the "Big Science" from the Lawrence
Livermore National Laboratory into your classroom

Attend the Edward Teller Science & Technology
Symposium on Sept 24-25, 2004

What you study: Choose from seven standards based
topics: optics, uses of radio carbon, biotechnology,
water chemistry, radiation science, biophotonics and
astrophysics.
What you will do: Attend three hands-on workshops,
visit LLNL research laboratories, talk cutting-edge
science with researchers, and network with scientists
over dinner a winery.
What you get: Teaching materials ready for your
classroom including color transparencies.
Who should attend: Middle school, high school and
community college science faculty.
What you earn: One semester unit credit from CSU
Chico.
What it costs: Registration fee - $100 includes all
meals. U.S. citizenship is required.
How to register: On-line at
http://education.llnl.gov/symposium2004/

Additional information and an advertising flier
available on the website.

Livermore Laboratory is located 50 miles east of San
Francisco, CA.
Endorsed by the California Science Teachers
Association
Access to LLNL requires registration to be completed
by August 31, 2004
Contact: Richard Farnsworth at rfarnsworth@llnl.gov,
or 925-422-5059

With firm handshake,