Re: pinhole Day After Tomorrow film

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 12:12:45 PDT

Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 12:12:45 -0700
From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Day After Tomorrow film

So I bit the icicle and saw the film just so I could comment about it to
pinhole.

I am sure that excerpts will appear at a future TI film festival as an
example of bad science.

In an early scene the "expert" shows an animation of the gulf stream alas
it is running the wrong way.

Later a super hurricane sucks the cold air down from the stratosphere flash
freezing everything in the eye. The airflow in a hurricane eye is upward
not down (that's why there is a low pressure there.) And if the air did
descend it would be compressed and warmed.

Paul D