eye damage

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 03 2004 - 12:34:04 PDT

Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 12:34:04 -0700
From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: eye damage

It's maily arc welders that cause eye damage. The arc emits UV light which
can sunburn the cornea.

Lasers have beams of light that can be focussed to a small point on the
retina by the eye. If the initial laser beam has enough energy (a few
milliwatts) the concentration of energy can then heat up and scar the
retina regardless of the wavelength.

Paul D