Advice on Probes

From: Meghan Nolan (meghan_nolan@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 02:59:13 PDT

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 02:59:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Meghan Nolan <meghan_nolan@yahoo.com>
Subject: Advice on Probes

Although this could be racy...I am really looking for
any thoughts and/or advice on tools to use in a
habitat analysis project. Part of the 4th and 6th
grade curricula for my new school next year involves
an extensive study of the habitat around the school.

What we need:

- A tool to test soil moisture

- A tool to measure light and changes in light (we've
used a photography light meter, but the outdoors is
all too high light for its calibrated scale

- A means to input & tabulate the data on site. We've
thought about using probe ware, PDAs (Palm,
specifically), and graphing calculators, but get
concerned that we don't want tools that are too hard
for 6th graders to use.

Thanks to anyone who has ideas or insight on this!
And, happy summer to all!

Meghan