Show and Tell Electrical Radiometer...

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Fri Jul 23 2004 - 01:06:01 PDT

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:06:01 EDT
Subject: Show and Tell Electrical Radiometer...

Marc Kossover writes:
>Al Sefl wonders if a device is a bolometer. According
>to a few websites, a bolometer is a very sensitive way
>to measure temperature using radiant heat on a
>resistor

Thanks, shortly after I posted the radiant energy horn devices I tried the
one that had electrical continuity with an old galvanometer. The thermocouples
worked just fine and it was enough for a decent deflection of the galvanometer
when aimed at an incandescent tungsten type light bulb.

FYI -The first Bolometer of any precision was created by Thomas Alva Edison
using a block of carbon as the resistance. He measured the heat energy in the
Sun's corona during an total eclipse in the 1870's. His name for it was
"microtasimeter" and the name bolometer came later from someone else.

Several people were kind enough to give me the key to using the patent office
search engine. That told me what the horn device was intended to do and it
was as I expected.

I sold the pair on eBay while clearing out 40+ years of collecting Physics
equipment. I am glad my posting it on the Exploratorium site got the ball
rolling for the "whatsits." My next post will not be so easy. ;-)

Best wishes to everyone on Pinhole...

Al Sefl
Who thought a Bolometer was something used to determine bowling ball mass...