looking for innovative ways to teach different phylla of animal kingdom

From: Kelly Vaughan (kvaughan@mh3.echalk.com)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 09:41:28 PDT

From: "Kelly Vaughan" <kvaughan@mh3.echalk.com>
Subject: looking for innovative ways to teach different phylla of animal kingdom
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:41:28 -0400

Hi everyone,

I am working on my life science curriculum for the coming year. NY wants
us to teach all the different phylla of the animal kingdom, plus teach the
other kingdoms (though not in as much detail) - in addition to the human
body, evolution, cells, etc.

The focus is on basic body structures, vert/invert, ectotherm/endotherm,
symmetry, adaptations, etc.

Has anyone found an innovative way to teach about the different kingdoms
and/or phylla within the animal kingdom? I don't want (or have the time)
to go through each group one at a time, and anyway, I don't think it would
be very interesting.

My current idea for the animal kingdom is to spend some time as a class on
mammals, birds, amphibians, and reptiles, then assign each additional
phyllum to a group of students and have them research, become experts, and
teach the class what they've learned.

I'm not completely satisfied with this and am still early in the planning
stages, so please send me your ideas!

Thanks & hope you're enjoying your summers!
Kelly