Bleach like oder and ionic air purifiers

From: Gilles Poitras (gpoitras@ggu.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 15:33:11 PDT

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 15:33:11 -0700
From: "Gilles Poitras" <gpoitras@ggu.edu>
Subject: Bleach like oder and ionic air purifiers

OK folks here is one for you.

I have an Ionic Breeze air purifier.

On smoggy days, when air quality index is 30 and above, the room it is in gets bleach like smell so I don't run it on those days.

This does not happen on days when the index is lower.

Any idea what this may be?

Some web sites say it is ozone but ozone is odorless.

Perhaps some other chemical reaction.

BTW on low index days I run the IB all day with no oder. On 30+ days it takes a few minutes for the oder to be noticeable.

And I don't have a large sample of data so this could all be based on insufficient data.