RAFT workshop with Mary Laycock

From: Lori Lambertson (loril@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 14:36:07 PDT

Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:36:07 -0700
From: Lori Lambertson <loril@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: RAFT workshop with Mary Laycock

Hello Pinhole Friends,
I have the pleasure of co-presenting a RAFT workshop this Saturday
with my math mentor, Mary Laycock. Mary is 89 years young, and still
loves teaching math. I just found out from my friends at RAFT that
the workshop is undersubscribed, and I agreed to post the information
about it on pinhole.
Mary has been a pioneer in hands-on math instruction, and has been
teaching math for over 60 years. She has written over 20 books, and
those who attend this Saturday's workshop at RAFT will receive a copy
of her book: "Building Understanding With Base 10 Blocks:
Manipulative Interludes in Algebra".
Workshop details follow:

Building Understanding with Base-10 Blocks
September 25, 2004,1:00 PM - 5:00 PM @ RAFT (Resource Area for Teachers) in
San Jose.
Join Mary Laycock and Lori Lambertson for an afternoon of manipulative math
using a RAFT version of base-10 blocks. The activities will be taken from
Mary's book, Building Understanding with Base-10 Blocks: Manipulative
Interludes in Algebra, and will cover integers, equations and algebra.
Participants will receive a copy of the book as part of the class
materials (which will also include RAFT's version of Base 10 blocks
for you to use in your classroom).
Cost: The class is $30 for RAFT members and $45 for non-members;
questions about membership status can be resolved once RAFT receives
the registration. Also, anyone
charged $45 is able to apply the $15 difference toward the $35 membership on
the day of the class.
Targeted for 5th-8th grade teachers.
To sign up call (408) 451-1420 or visit
http://www.raft.net/resources/index.php?pg=workshop.