feathers, Death by Design, & more

From: Kelly Vaughan (kvaughan@mh3.echalk.com)
Date: Thu Oct 14 2004 - 16:15:34 PDT

From: "Kelly Vaughan" <kvaughan@mh3.echalk.com>
Subject: feathers, Death by Design, & more
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 19:15:34 -0400

Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions, so I thought I'd send them both at once.

1. I showed my students (8th grade) part of "Death By Design" today - they
LOVED it. They had a lot of questions about the clips of cells - what
species were shown, what video effects were used (speeding things up,
lighting effects, etc.) and exactly what was happening in some of the more
unusual images. I couldn't answer a lot of their questions! Is there any
kind of info for teachers available to supplement this documentary? Is
there a list of at least what species are shown in the clips?

2. I used to work for an organization that had a box of feathers that they
let kids handle, look at with magnifying glasses, etc. I would like to
start collecting feathers that I find on the street, but I'm concerned
about cleanliness - I'm pretty sure the feathers in that collection had
been sterilized in some way. Does anyone know of an easy way to sterilize
feathers at home without damaging them? Am I right to worry about this?

Thanks for your help!
Kelly Vaughan