electrochem question

From: Jeff Erickson (jefferick@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Oct 15 2004 - 16:04:13 PDT

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:04:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jeff Erickson <jefferick@yahoo.com>
Subject: electrochem question

This may be an obscure question, but it has me
puzzled. I set up a voltaic cell with Iron(III)
solution and an iron electrode and zinc(II) solution
with a zinc electrode and got a cell voltage that
corresponds to the reduction of Iron(2) and the
oxidation of zinc. What role does the reduction of
iron(3) to iron(2) play and why doesn't this seem to
affect the cell voltage? (I got a cell voltage of 0.34
volts using 1.0 M solutions) Thanks.