Pinhole- lunar eclipse times ... if weather permits

From: ASKDRSP@aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 07:10:00 PDT

From: ASKDRSP@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:10:00 EDT
Subject: Pinhole- lunar eclipse times ... if weather permits

HI Pinhole Teachers,

I gave this to our teachers at our site and thought maybe I would send a
quick reminder to you all. If our weather clears, this should be a great event,
yes?

Here is what I sent the teachers.

Take care,
Sue Pritchard

Total Eclipse of the Moon
Wednesday, October 27, 2004

A total eclipse of the full moon happens on Wednesday evening, October 27th,
when the sun, earth, and moon align and the moon moves through the earth's
shadow and grows dark. Anyone in North America will be able to see the eclipse,
weather permitting. It begins at moonrise for California observers, with
maximum eclipse occurring at a very convenient 8 p.m. This eclipse is total, and the
moon will darken substantially about two hours after it rises.

Eclipses happen in stages as the moon moves through different parts of the
earth’s shadow. This eclipse is already in progress when the moon rises as seem
from the West Coast. From Los Angeles, the moon rises 16 degrees north of due
east at 5:57 p.m., P.D.T., which is also the moment of sunset. At that time,
the moon is within the penumbra, the light outer part of the earth’s shadow,
but it looks undimmed. The moon moves deeper into the earth's shadow as it rises
higher, and it begins to move into the umbra, the dark inner part of the
shadow, at 6:14 p.m. At that time, the left edge of the moon darkens visibly.

During the next 69 minutes, the moon grows dimmer as it moves deeper into the
earth's shadow. At 7:23 p.m. the moon moves completely into the inner, umbral
part of the earth's shadow and totality begins.

The moon is totally eclipsed from 7:23 p.m. until 8:44 p.m. During this
period the full moon will look unusually dark and somewhat reddened in color. The
best time to look is around mid-eclipse at 8 p.m.

Totality ends at 8:44 p.m., when the moon begins to move out of the umbra and
its upper left edge brightens. During the next hour and a quarter, the moon
moves progressively farther out of the dark part of the shadow and more of the
moon becomes lit. At 9:53 p.m. the moon leaves the umbra. The eclipse is
essentially over, but the moon does not exit the penumbra until 11:02 p.m.

Eclipse Timeline (P.D.T.)

  5:57 p.m.         moonrise (from Los Angeles)
  6:14 p.m.         moon begins to enter umbra
  7:23 p.m.         totality begins
  8:04 p.m.         mid-eclipse
  8:44 p.m.         totality ends
  9:53 p.m.         moon leaves umbra
11:02 p.m.         moon leaves penumbra
[These times are valid anywhere (except moonrise, which is calculated for Los
Angeles); make appropriate time zone changes if not in the Pacific time zone.]