Re: pinhole Explosive Bubbles

From: Gary Horne (garyhorne@mac.com)
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 19:55:54 PST

From: Gary Horne <garyhorne@mac.com>
Subject: Re: pinhole Explosive Bubbles
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 19:55:54 -0800

I've seen a cool demo where a brass bell shaped container is filled
with hydrogen. There is a small opening at the bottom which is lit.
As the hydrogen burns it resonates inside the container. At first, the
frequency is too low to hear, but as more hydrogen is burned and more
oxygen enters the container, the frequency rises. At some point, the
sound becomes audible, but faint. As the burning continues, the sound
grows higher and louder. It continues growing in frequency and volume
(seemingly exponentially) until the O2/H mix is just right causing a
tremendous bang. Very impressive.