Re: pinhole Pinhole: astatine? real names of the higher than 109?

From: Marc Kossover (zeke_kossover@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 22:21:40 PST

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:21:40 -0800 (PST)
From: Marc Kossover <zeke_kossover@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: pinhole Pinhole: astatine? real names of the higher than 109?

--- ASKDRSP@aol.com wrote:

> The other question is regarding the most current
> names for elements 110 and
> higher. Are they found in nature? Do they have names
> other than unnilinium, etc
> ... and are their atomic masses stable or what? Any
> info is greatly
> appreciated. Thank you. The chart that will be used
> for the 8th grade science test
> shows only up to 109 on the periodic table so I was
> curious.

According the International Union of Pure and Applied
Chemistry (IUPAC), more or less the governing body of
chemists, element 110 is confirmed and so the
discoverers have been allowed to select a name for the
element. The selected name is darmstadtium with symbol
Ds.

IUPAC has also confirmed 111 and has allowed its
discoverers to propose roentgenium with symbol Rg as
its provisional name.

According to the article at IUPAC (dated 2003),
elements 112, 114, 116, and 118 have not been
confirmed, and so no names have been given.

All of these elements are synthesized in the lab.

See
<http://www.iupac.org/general/FAQs/elements.html#name>
for more information.

Thus all elements through 111 have regular names.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover
The Jewish Community High School of the Bay