Re: Making reading interesting?

From: Charlotte Lum (charjinglum@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 14 2004 - 10:56:48 PST

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 10:56:48 -0800 (PST)
From: Charlotte Lum <charjinglum@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Making reading interesting?

At my school, we use a strategy called 'Tellbacks.' Students have a
partner. First, they read to themselves. After two minutes or so
(your judgment) the teacher says, tell your partner what you just
read. They talk. Then, they go back to reading. After another two
minutes, the other partner tells what _they_ read. Continue as long
as necessary.

You could follow this with eliciting their questions/asking them
questions/explanations.

An extension is having them write one sentence summaries after each
Tellback.

Its not necessarily 'interesting' but I think it makes the reading
more effective.

Hope this helps,
Charlotte