blue blood

From: Erin Leydig (wisheyewere@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 17 2004 - 22:00:47 PST

From: "Erin Leydig" <wisheyewere@hotmail.com>
Subject: blue blood
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:00:47 -0800

Hello everyone!
I have a very odd mystery on my hands and was wondering if anyone had any
ideas on how to solve it.

Two weeks ago, I started a CSI unit in class, and as part of the unit I made
vials of fake blood (taken from suspects) for the students to compare with
blood found at the crime scene. To make the blood I used nonfat milk
diluted 1:1 with water, and then added red and green food coloring to
acheive the look of real blood. I put this blood into small glass vials
that have been sealed inside evidence bags since preparation.
Today, I went into my classroom and was shocked to find that some of the
vials had turned light blue! There were three vials of blood in each of the
three evidence bags. In one bag, all three vials are still red. In the
second bag, two vials are completely light blue and one is still red, and in
the third bag, one vial is red, one is light blue and one appears to be in
between red and light blue.

Any idea what is going on????

Confused,
Erin Leydig