Earth rotation

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 30 2004 - 10:04:30 PST

Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:04:30 -0800
From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Earth rotation

One of my friends is a radio astronomer at the VLBA which can be used to
study day length and earth rotation axis direction. He wrote to his friend
the expert and here's what he says about measuring the effect of the recent
quake on the rotation of the earth.

Craig,

    There are a lot of speculations about this issue. I have already bet
with several guys that we'll see nothing in polar motion and in UT1, but
we need to wait for 2-3 weeks to learn who has won. More interesting to
see whether free core nutation will be affected. But to see this effect
we need to wait for at least one year (and collect good RDV data).

I wish you happy New Year!

Leonid

My translation, it will take weeks to get a good reading on the rotation
changes.

Paul D