vacuum chamber science

From: Kevin Kinsella (kkinsella@woodside.k12.ca.us)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2005 - 15:56:36 PST

From: "Kevin Kinsella" <kkinsella@woodside.k12.ca.us>
Subject: vacuum chamber science
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:56:36 -0800

        I have a 6th grade student that would like to perform an experiment
to measure the minimum amount of air pressure required to produce a sound
that is audible to the human ear. She was inspired by a demo. I did last
year with a vacuum chamber and a doorbell. She is experiencing some
difficulties and I was wondering if anyone can help.
        She would like to use a decibel meter to measure the sound produced,
but can not find one that measures sounds below 50 db (except for very
expensive ones). Is there any where that she can borrow a meter that goes as
low as 0 db? (Is this necessary?) Additionally she was thinking about
placing a barometer inside the chamber to read the air pressure as we are
unclear in how to read the pressure gauge on the pump, it seems to be
reading pressure of vacuum in in. Hg. However, she can not find a barometer
that is small enough to fit inside of the chamber (diameter of approx. 12
cm.)
        Any suggestions/guidance would be much appreciated. Happy New Year.

Kevin Kinsella
5/6 Science Explorer
Woodside School