Solar system - Earth's rotation & revolution etc.

From: Benjamin Pittenger (bpittenger@earthtones.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2005 - 06:46:59 PST

Date: Thu,  3 Feb 2005 09:46:59 -0500
From: "Benjamin Pittenger" <bpittenger@earthtones.com>
Subject: Solar system - Earth's rotation & revolution etc.

Ron hit it. My rule of thumb for judging a model of Earth's rotation & revolution, and our moon's revolution around Earth [and our moon's rotation, though this is rarely modeled on this scale], is whether they all proceed in the same direction. Whether from 'north' or 'south' the directions should be the same. From 'north' they will all move counter-clockwise. The north-south perspective will determine only whether they are moving 'clockwise' or 'counter-clockwise'.*

If you look just at the earth and moon, the model on the link had the relative directions of the earth's rotation and moon's revolution around the earth correct. However, the direction of Earth's revolution around the sun was incorrect relative to the earth's and moon's motions. The model had several other problems, as well. For one example it models monthly total solar eclipses.

http://www.fearofphysics.com/SunMoon/sunmoon1.html

[*Little by little are the terms 'clockwise' and 'counter-clockwise' evolving into anachronisms? Or would they become anachronometerisms?]

Ben

Sent via the WebMail system at earthtones.com