Re: pinhole Do you know scientists who have affected the course ofhistory?

From: Gilles Poitras (gpoitras@ggu.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2005 - 08:21:31 PST

Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 08:21:31 -0800
From: "Gilles Poitras" <gpoitras@ggu.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Do you know scientists who have affected the course ofhistory?

How about pseudo-science or discredited science.

Specifically the anglo-american theories of genetic superiority that influenced the Nazis.

Steven Jay Gould's Mismeasure of Man is a good book to look at on the topic.

>>> charjinglum@yahoo.com - 2/7/05 9:32 PM >>>
I am planning an interdisciplinary unit with a history teacher,
entitled, "How Science Has Driven the Course of History." One of our
objectives is to understand that scientists consider the impacts of
science on society - that they do think about ethical issues. To
illustrate this, we need examples of scientists who have been
involved in the political/social world, either promoting or
discouraging the use of scientific technologies. Since we're
focusing on WWII, we will be studying Einstein, Pauling, and Bohr's
positions on the nuclear bomb.

Do you have any other examples of such scientists, from any period in
history?

Thanks,
Charlotte