Re: pinhole Determination of wavelength

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 17:27:07 PST

From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Determination of wavelength
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:27:07 -0800

Hi Joe

You add 0.6 times the radius or 0.3 times the diameter of each open end
to a pipe to get the effective pipe length for resonances.

"This is the result of the cylindrical plug of compressed air
propagating down the cylindrical tube suddenly ecountering an open end
and
then expanding spherically. There is a transition from cylindrical to
spherical that takes a distance related to the diameter of the pipe."

Paul D