Energy & waves

From: Nathania Chaney Aiello (n.chaneyaiello@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 06:16:27 PST

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 06:16:27 -0800
Subject: Energy & waves
From: Nathania Chaney Aiello <n.chaneyaiello@comcast.net>

I have been teaching my students about constructive and destructive
interference, and the following question comes up again and again. What
happens to the energy during destructive interference?

We have talked about mechanical waves, including sound, as well as light
waves (just did Young's double slit experiment) and I would like to be able
to give an explanation that works across all these media/wave types.

Also, I'm still personally unhappy at a gut level about the fact you can get
interference from a single slit. I have read QED - The Strange Theory of
Light and Matter, but I still don't like it! Any suggestions? Thanks!

Nathania Chaney Aiello
Mission San Jose HS
Fremont, CA