RE: 1 farad capacitors

From: Ronald Wong (ronwong@inreach.com)
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 01:40:52 PST

Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:40:52 -0800
From: Ronald Wong <ronwong@inreach.com>
Subject: RE: 1 farad capacitors

Eric asked:

>does anyone know a good source for 1 farad 5 volt capacitors? we've
>been looking through the Jameco catalog and online and its a bit
>overwhelming...

Go to their website, search for "1f" in "Passive Components: Capacitors"
and you'll come up with:

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId
=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=121619

Supposedly, it's on page 61 of Jameco's current catalog.

Is this what you are looking for? I think not. Given the price, I suspect
it's the typical low-current type.

He went on to ask:

>for the physics types: how do you make a capacitor that releases
>its charge slowly?

See:

http://www.nec-tokin.com/english/product/supercapacitor/outline02.html

That's why they are used as battery back-ups.

But they have come up with low internal resistance types too:

http://www.nec-tokin.com/english/product/supercapacitor/feature.html

These supply higher currents.

In the NEC catalog under the heading of "General type" you'll see the one I
think you are looking for. Unfortunately, no part number is listed on the
website for that capacitor.

The 1 Farad capacitor (the NEC capacitor) from Arbor Scientific that Algis
Sodonis mentioned is $20 a pop but you get 10% off for 6 or more. See:

http://www.arborsci.com/Products_Pages/Electricity/ElectricityBuy2A.htm#1Farad

ron