Re: pinhole atoms and ions

From: Algis Sodonis (asodonis@urbanschool.org)
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 19:26:48 PST

Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:26:48 -0800
Subject: Re: pinhole atoms and ions
From: "Algis Sodonis" <asodonis@urbanschool.org>

Mike,

I think the main point here is that "particle" is a more generic term that encompasses single atoms and larger assemblages of atoms, usually called molecules.

A charged single atom is an ion.

A charged molecule (such as H3O+ ) is also an ion. (This is called a hydronium ion, a water molecule that has accepted a positive charge, making it from a neutral atom to +1 ion.)

A bigger lesson, in my opinion, is that since all atoms are made up of charges, they all have the inherent ability to become an ion. You don't just add charges to make something an ion. You can remove a part of it, such as an electron, and a neutral atom can become a positive ion - a good lesson for middle school - subtracting a negative is the same result as adding a positive.

Algis Sodonis
The Urban School of SF