epsom salts

From: Treena Joi (tjoi@pvsd.net)
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 12:35:15 PST

From: Treena Joi <tjoi@pvsd.net>
Subject: epsom salts
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:35:15 -0800

http://www.exploratorium.edu/science_explorer/crystal.html

To continue the epsom salt thread

I used the directions at the site above, also referenced in Bill Nye
videos, btw

I prepped the evaporation dishes for a number of salts and let students
observe and take notes to a comp book
(a new thing for me with the lower grades)

The complexity link at the base of the page showed additional art work
that i was able to tie into the curriculum

interestingly, a salt substitute formed crystals on both sides of the
construction paper used in the base of the pan for contrast and seemed
to leech ink out of the construction paper I used, shades of
chromatography

Still looking for other reliable sources though