RE: global warming

From: David Lauter (djlauter@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 21 2005 - 19:28:54 PST

From: "David Lauter" <djlauter@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: global warming
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:28:54 -0800

I finally heard something serious on the radio that was somewhat informative concerning the consequences of global warming.  Several scientists have concluded that even if we ended all consumption of fossil fuels the seas will significantly rise primarily because of the expansion of water and less so due to the melting of continental ice caps.  However the heating of the oceans and the rise in sea level will not be signficant for another 50 to 100 years.  If I can play devil's advocate, aren't we going to use up all the fossil fuel anyway in the next 50 to 100 years?, and will the slower use of fossil fuel have a signficant effect on this process?  Finally how does the economic cost of deciding to curtail fossil fuels compare to the economic costs of not doing anything?

David Lauter

George Washington High