Permeable material for a streambed model?

From: Benjamin Pittenger (bpittenger@earthtones.com)
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 11:31:05 PST

From: Benjamin Pittenger <bpittenger@earthtones.com>
Subject: Permeable material for a streambed model?
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:31:05 -0800

I want to construct a model of a stream and lagoon, with permeable
material along the stream to indicate the sediment and soils along the
streambed. However, I want the surface to be rigid. Real soil and
sand just would not last very long as the model is used and
transported.

I have seen models like this. They are great for modeling watersheds,
subterranean flow, migration of non-point pollution, etc. However, I
am having a bit of trouble finding out what material is used to make
the permeable surface. The material would need to be molded as the
model is made, but then be rigid and permeable when dry. In an ideal
world I am thinking of having sand below the hard surface, with a
plexiglass wall on the model to show a cross-section of the sediment in
the streambed.

Come to think of it, I think I have seen similar surfaces on some
potted plants - small pebbles stuck to each other with some sort of
adhesive, but permeable. Perhaps I'll try a couple of florists.

But, meanwhile, does anyone have ideas of what materials are used for
this type of permeable surface, and where I could get it?

Thanks,
Ben