Re: pinhole freeing stuck glass stopper

From: Geoff Ruth (gruth@leadershiphigh.org)
Date: Fri Apr 15 2005 - 05:50:49 PDT

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 05:50:49 -0700
From: Geoff Ruth <gruth@leadershiphigh.org>
Subject: Re: pinhole freeing stuck glass stopper

Thanks to all who responded. I had never heard about bases reacting
with glass before.

So a followup question: my school has a big jug of 12M aqueous
ammonia, that came from the distributor in glass. I know the outside
is plastic-coated, and it has a plastic screw cap. Do I have to be
worried about the hydroxide ions reacting with the glass enough to
compromise the glass container walls' integrity?

Thanks again,
Geoff