Re: pinhole colors, perception and emotion

From: Avery Pickford (avery.pickford@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 09:11:27 PDT

Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 12:11:27 -0400
From: Avery Pickford <avery.pickford@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: pinhole colors, perception and emotion

Synesthesia or synaesthesia is the phenomena of involuntarily associating
different senses--for example, seeing sounds or colors when seeing specific
numbers or letters. Research done with subjects who exhibit these
characteristics has shown that they are much better at picking out the 5's
in a grid of 1000 by 1000 2's with a triangle of 5's in the middle because
they immediately saw the green triangle on the red background. A web
search on synesthesia gives you lots of specific experiments. One site
that I like is:

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/syne.html

Similarly, researchers have found that some music prodigies can smell or
see tones. There's an article about this in a recent Nature (don't know
which one specifically, but somewhere around the beginning of March). It
was about a woman who can taste intervals (I would imagine a major third to
taste like french fries). It makes me wonder if she likes to cook.

Avery