RE: pinhole Re: colors, perception and emotion

From: Coral Clark (coralc@raft.net)
Date: Mon Apr 25 2005 - 14:35:50 PDT

From: "Coral Clark" <coralc@raft.net>
Subject: RE: pinhole Re: colors, perception and emotion
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:35:50 -0700

More on color and perception...

In college, I was taught that the color combination perceived as the "most
contrasting" (or "easiest to see")is black on a yellow background. A common
choice for roadsigns.

-Coral

Raleigh,

I think you're likely to be correct about cultural
bias affecting emotional response to color. Some
colors may tend to have certain effects on people, but
the pattern would have to be interpreted within the
context of their cultures. As you mentioned, red is
"lucky" in many Asian cultures. White in the West is
often used for purity (weddings, etc.) but is
associated with death in some Asian cultures. I'm
pretty sure certain colors can attract our attention
more easily, owing to the response curves of our rods
and cones. However, the significance we attach to
them would probably have to be mostly cultural. Note
that many fruits and flowers use red to attract
animals to feed, but some animals have red warning
markings as well.

We're down to our last 5 weeks here. Hope all is well
out there. Just got word from a friend back on the
coast that gas was running $3.30 or so -- and we went
into shock here at $2.20! Good luck to all as we wind
down the year, and prepare for yet another.

Roy Mayeda
Wheaton HS
Wheaton, MN