Re: pinhole special relativity

From: ASKDRSP@aol.com
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 22:54:24 PDT

From: ASKDRSP@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 01:54:24 EDT
Subject: Re: pinhole special relativity

HI Paul and Tom,

I think anything that relates the audio-visual technology of our "AV Babies"
would be of interest to our students ... in terms of relativity.

I think Paul you have a great article online about television ... some of
it:''

"One situation in which speeds comparable to c are routinely achieved is in
the acceleration of charged particles, for example electrons in a TV tube,
oscilloscope or electron microscope, or other particles in a nuclear accelerator.
The particles (charge q) may be accelerated via an electrostatic field, by
applying a potential U to an accelerating electrode. The gain in kinetic energy
of a particle is then equal to its loss in potential energy: K = - q U . For
the electrons in color-TV tube, q = -e = -1.6E-19 Coulomb, m0 = 9.11E-31 kg and
U = +20,000 volts, giving K = 3.2E-15 Joules = (gamma - 1) m0 c^2, so that
gamma = 1.04 and v = 0.27 c . The electron-optic design of the tube must take
into account the relativistic mass increase, and the fact that such designs work
as expected is further evidence for the the accuracy of the Special Theory."

Now, if this could be explained in an animation ... wow, that would be very
cool ... and of course, it would be AV mode about AV stuff for our AV minded
students.

Thanks for doing this.

Take care,
Sue Pritchard