Fwd: Free Forest Stewardship Camp for Teachers/ Educational Consultants

From: karenm@exploratorium.edu
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 09:54:01 PDT

From: <karenm@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Fwd: Free Forest Stewardship Camp for Teachers/ Educational Consultants
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 09:54:01 -0700

Karen Mendelow Nelson
415-457-8758

   --- the forwarded message follows ---

attached mail follows:

From: Bay Area CREEC EE Network - Fiona Dunbar <fiona_turtle@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu,  5 May 2005 09:28:59 -0700 (PDT)

('binary' encoding is not supported, stored as-is) From: Bay Area CREEC EE Network
Replies to this message go to the sender. Use the link in the footer to send a reply to the group.

Greetings,

I’m sending this to you for three reasons.  The first is to
let you know the Pacific Forest Institute is here!  You’ll
hear more about us as we expand, but for now we are focusing
on Forest Stewardship.   If you think there is a way we
might be able to mutually benefit from sharing of program
and educational activities, then give me a call or email.

The second reason is we would like you to let teachers know
about our Forest Stewardship week this summer.  It will be a
great experience and teachers will walk away from this week
with new understandings of the forest, as well as, lessons
geared to the California State Framework.

The third reason is we are looking for three special people
to be educational consultants.  The primary purpose of these
people will be to mentor the participants and assist them to
translate presentations by professionals into lesson plans
for their grade level.  Let your staff know about this
opportunity.  It does pay and it will be an enjoyable week
as well.

An electronic version of our brochure is attached.  Email or
call for more information or a paper brochure.

Thanks,

Mark McReynolds
Program Coordinator
Pacific Forest Institute
William Jessup University
333 Sunset Blvd.
Rocklin, CA  95765
Email: PFI@jessup.edu

William Jessup University’s
Pacific Forest Institute Teacher Workshop:
Forest Stewardship Education
July 17 to July 22, 2005

Overlooking the picturesque town of Quincy, CA, Feather
River Community College is our site in the middle of a huge
environmental education learning lab, the Plumas National
Forest.

Designed for teachers, a major portion of the week will be
looking at how the stewardship concept allows human needs to
be met while ensuring that renewable resources within the
forest can be available for future generations through
proper management concerned with all its components – living
and non-living.

Starting at William Jessup University, we’ll board our
transport for the green forests of Quincy and move into
comfortable apartments at Feather River College.  Vans will
take us to local sites of interest, but in many sessions
you’ll spend time on trails and dirt roads - walking and
talking, not strenuously hiking.

Educational consultants, graded breakout sessions and
personal curriculum development time will help you translate
the expert’s lingo into curriculum activities tied to the
California State Science Framework and appropriate for
grades K-3, or 4-6, or 7-12.

Sessions include: Perspectives on California Forests, Fire
and Fuels Management, Watersheds, Timber Harvest and Mill
Tour, Soil Science, Reforestation, Wildlife Management,
Ecosystem Management, Residential Environmental Education in
California, Recreational and Cultural Issues.

All housing, meals and instructional materials for the week
are provided at no charge to participants.
Attendance Certification - No cost.
Academic Credit Options - $756.00 for 2 units through
William Jessup University*.

Questions?
Mark McReynolds, Program Coordinator
Pacific Forest Institute
William Jessup University
333 Sunset Blvd.
Rocklin, CA  95765
Email: PFI@jessup.edu

* accredited by the Western Association of Schools and
Colleges
Post a response to this message and send to the entire group.
 mailto:baycreec.120422@email.edgateway.net

Post a new message on a new topic and send to the entire group.
 mailto:baycreec@email.edgateway.net

To view this discussion online:
 http://www.edgateway.net/cs/ege/forum/cs_disc/473

To unsubscribe and not receive further emails.