part time math and/or art position

From: Lori Lambertson (loril@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 16 2005 - 12:40:41 PDT

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:40:41 -0700
From: Lori Lambertson <loril@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: part time math and/or art position

Hello Pinholers,
Here is a middle school Math/Art Position at a local (San Mateo)
independent school.
Read on for more information.
Cheers,
Lori

ARE YOU A MATHEMATICAL ARTIST Or
An Artistic Mathematician?

ENVIRONMENT: Odyssey School is a private, co-ed middle school for
gifted students in grades 6-8. Located on four beautiful acres of
old growth oak trees complete with stream. Our science, math and
studio art programs are integrated and utilize our grounds for
learning experiences.

POSITION: We are seeking a part-time math teacher qualified to teach
pre-algebra, algebra and geometry; and/or part-time studio art/art
history.

CURRICULA: The math program is hands-on, utilizing cooperative
learning groups with the goal to move all students through algebra by
the end of eighth grade. As a school for gifted we seek to meet the
needs of advanced math students. Teachers created their own
syllabus, teaching materials and pedagogy.

Studio art and art history for sixth, seventh and eighth grade is
integrated into the humanities program. The teacher develops
syllabus, pedagogy, budget, scheduling and topics.

QUALIFICATIONS: Three to five years teaching experience required,
preferably in an independent school setting. To be competitive in
the hiring process a teacher should possess a teacher certificate,
advanced degree, and experience with gifted students.

SALARY: The salary will be, based upon experience competitive with
all independent schools. In addition, the successful candidate will
have a $6,000 cafeteria-style plan for benefits.

INTANGIBLES: We expect all candidates who a apply to be qualified,
thus we are interested in the intangibles you can bring to our
community. Have you been in the Peace Corp, do you play an
instrument, have you traveled extensively, did you play competitive
soccer in college, do you speak a number of languages, are you Life
Saving certified, do you keep your room clean, do you have a dog, do
you like chocolate, is your music collection eclectic? If you are
interested in a team that travels to a week of leadership camp in
early Sept., goes to the Oregon Shakespeare festival, has a midyear
retreat off campus, goes to a week of outdoor education at Catalina
Island, sends their 8th graders to Japan for three weeks in May and
allows teachers to budget, plan, coordinate their own courses-you
will fall in love with Odyssey. Join us.

APPLICATION PROCESS: Please send cover letter and resume to:
Stephen K. Smuin, Head of School; 201 Polhemus Rd. San Mateo, CA
94402-no phone calls please. Electronic submission fine:
ssmuinodyssey@yahoo.com. Qualified candidates will be asked to come
for an interview and final candidates will be asked to teach a
demonstration class.