RE: Subject: Ode to teachers

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Jun 18 2005 - 21:38:22 PDT

Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 21:38:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Subject: Ode to teachers

"It is only by introducing the young to great literature, drama and
music, and to the excitement of great science that we open to them the
possibilities that lie within the human spirit -- enable them to see
visions and dream dreams." ~Eric Anderson

I know I'm going to sound petty or "politically correct" but when you look at this quote what does it say about cultures other than our own? What does it say about assumptions of what is "great"? Seems to me that for many having access to their own cultural base without interference would be sufficient to "...see visions and dream dreams." No?

Science helps me make sense of the world and allows me to feel like I can begin to understand things that I feel are important or interesting. Wouldn't begin to say that without it I would fail in the vision and dreams department, although I'm sure they would be of different substance without science. Some cultures have managed to find their own way without literature, great or otherwise, but perhaps with much drama in their stories. Odd that I would react critically to such a well meaning quote. I'm getting old and cranky!

Having said all that I'm glad you posted the quote because it makes me think about things that I sometimes take for granted.

With firm handshake,
Raleigh