question on black holes, charge, and information

From: Debbie Berlin (debbie_berlin@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jul 29 2005 - 07:34:24 PDT

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 07:34:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: Debbie Berlin <debbie_berlin@yahoo.com>
Subject: question on black holes, charge, and information

Hi, all. I have a very "out there" theoretical question. I think Paul D. may have given me an excellent answer to a very similar question a few years ago but I have once again befuddled myself and am now asking for help. Black holes conserve mass, charge, and spin (angular momentum). But, how can we theoretically observe their charge? For example, would two theoretically negatively charged black holes repel each other through EM forces? Aren't photons responsible for "carrying" electrostatic forces, and if so, how could they escape black holes? Can we (theoretically, of course) tell that there are net charges inside a black hole but not be able to tell if they are wiggling?

I promise, I'm not smoking anything...just curious! Thanks for any information all you smart people can provide, Debbie:)