Free stuff, and what are these things?

From: Casey O'Hara (casey@jedgarnation.com)
Date: Fri Jul 29 2005 - 11:03:04 PDT

From: "Casey O'Hara" <casey@jedgarnation.com>
Subject: Free stuff, and what are these things?
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:03:04 -0700

First: while organizing my school's Physics storage room, I came across
a whole bunch of '60s-era analog galvanometers, ammeters, and whatnot.
Some are nice, some are cheap, and most are probably decades out of
calibration but have little screw adjustments on them. There are
several different styles, brands, etc so you'll need to be clever to
organize a "class set". I kept a few aside for my own classes, but the
rest are most likely to sit in boxes for several more decades. So,
instead I offer them up to anyone who will put them to better use in
their classroom. If you're interested, please e-mail me!

Second: I found a few items that look cool, and I have a pretty good
idea of what they're for, but could use some help in (a) finding out
what they're "officially" called, and (b) getting ideas on how to use
them to enhance my lessons. I've put pictures and descriptions up on
my web site: http://www.seq.org/~cohara/stuff.html. Right now it's
mostly optics stuff but as I dig through the other equipment I'm sure
I'll find more equipment to ask about.

--Casey O'Hara
Physics/AIS teacher
Carlmont HS, Belmont CA