Re: More science questions!

Marc Afifi (mafifi@redshift.com)
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 09:05:44 -0800

Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 09:05:44 -0800
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: mafifi@redshift.com (Marc Afifi)
Subject: Re: More science questions!

At 8:39 AM 2/21/97, Pinhole Listserv wrote:
>>Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 08:37:12 -0800
>>To:mara@sirius.com (mara hill)
>>From:pauld@exploratorium.edu (Paul Doherty)
>>Subject:Re: More science questions!
>>
>>Electric garage door openers transmit radio frequency signals. Which is
>>why when the aircraft carriers come into San Francisco Bay, garage doors
>>in the east bay go up and down. (The Navy operates radios on the same
>>frequencies as garage doors.)

I used to live in Rohnert Park (about 50 miles north of SF and about 30
miles inland) and I remember a time when our garage door was going haywire.
The door would go up, then down, then up, then down...
This happened for about a week and then everything was back to normal. I
even tried changing the frequency on which the door opener operated to no
avail. Our neighbors did not have that problem, just us and we were living
in a condo complex. At the time, I thought it must have been the high
school across the street with the physics class doing some experiment or a
friend pulling a joke on us. I don't think it was the Navy since we were
living so far from the ocean, but I guess that's possible.

-Marc

My favorite American League team? Whoever is playing the A's.

-mafifi@redshift.com