more elctricity

Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Thu, 6 Mar 1997 08:39:14 -0800

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 08:39:14 -0800
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: pauld@exploratorium.edu (Paul Doherty)
Subject: more elctricity

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 02:49:54 -0500 (EST)
From: Biedenweg@aol.com
To: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: magnets and cloud chambers

Paul,
I tried using the scotch tape before and it didn't register on the
electroscope that I built. You need a whallop of a positive charge to get the
leaves to spread out I think (I've already induced a charge on it cause I'm
trying to use the electroscope to show two items rubbed together acquire
opposite charges). I'll try again. Most of my lab involves rubbing cloths on
items so I'd love to show this with a cloth. I want to test some more
Patagonia materials.

The main thing I try to do when teaching about Electricity and Magnetism is
do the fundamentals and then try to get kids to use them to create some
interesting devices. I'll try to send you some materials sometime. For
magnetism induced by electricity, they build a speaker using an 1/8 inch
phone jack, some motor wire, a film cannister, and a couple disk magnets.
Just wrap the wire around the film cannister a bunch of times. Take the ends
and connect them to the phone jack and plug the jack into a Walkman. It
actually plays very well one you toss the magnets in.

I just work with some electronics people developing a circuit that detects a
change in magnetic field and generates enough electricity to make a buzzer
buzz or an LED turn on. It can be used for lots of stuff. I have the students
try to figure out an application for it and build a little setting to put it
in. IF you are interested I can send you details on this.

Take care, Doug