re:Ceramic Magnets

Eric Muller (emuller@exploratorium.edu)
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 13:39:01 +0100

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 13:39:01 +0100
To: "Pinhole Listserv" <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
From: emuller@exploratorium.edu (Eric Muller)
Subject: re:Ceramic Magnets

Date: 24 Mar 1997 18:45:14 -0800
From: NFetter@aol.com
Subject: Ceramic Magnets

One of my students asked me how powerful ceramic magnets work. I have never
seen an explanation, so here I am asking the rest of you for an explanation.
Thanks, Neil Fetter

Neil,
I did some research on the web re:ceramic magnets.
I found a page at http://www.slotcar.com/toaainfo/magnets.htm
entitled-

WHAT YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT MAGNETS BUT, DIDN'T QUITE KNOW HOW
TO ASK...
BY JOHN SOJAK, TRIK TRAX, INC.

Below is a small sampling from this page:

"Of the three types - there actually are several more - there is another,
further classification of either
metallic and ceramic. A metallic magnet is obviously made from a
metal or alloy of metals. A
ceramic magnet - some refer to this type as a ferrite magnet,
(either term is correct) - are usually
made of metal oxides or families of oxides. They are called
"ceramic" because their physical
properties resemble those of porcelain - hard, brittle and tend to
fracture under an impact. The
metallic types will chip or dent randomly. Ceramics tend to fracture
in a long, regular split along a
weak or stress line in the material."

I hope this helps.

Eric Muller