Re: Polarizing filters

David Porter (dlporter@crl.com)
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 09:14:42 -0800 (PST)

Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 09:14:42 -0800 (PST)
From: David Porter <dlporter@crl.com>
To: Pinhole Listserv <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: Polarizing filters

Dear John,

I liked what you worked up regarding n polarizing filters. I'll find it
interesting to hear what Paul D. says. That would suggest that the amount
of light getting through approaches 100% as n approaches infinity. But
at some point there will be diminishing returns as the light passes
through more and more sheets of plastic. It seems a lot like the
mechanical advantage one gets with the addition of pulleys until their
added friction wins out over the mechanical advantage. It would be nice
to add a similar term to your equation to take this into account.

Sincerely,
David Porter
dlporter@crl.com